Salary: Living allowance and educational award
Start Date: September 2, 2014
CityArts AmeriCorps Program is recruiting for teaching artists who are interested in part-time AmeriCorps Service. Apply your creative teaching skills to AmeriCorps Service, and join CityArts everyday afterschool to improve outcomes for Providence public middle school youth!
Providence CityArts seeks 8 Afterschool teaching artists to join our AmeriCorps Expanded Day Teaching Artist Project (EDTAP). This AmeriCorps program supports urban public schools, during out-of-school time, to expand and enrich student learning in and through the arts. CityArts EDTAP teaching artists serve as AFTERSCHOOL resident artists in 4 Priority Providence Public Middle Schools, using time beyond the school day to explore project-based arts learning to develop habits of inquiry, and incite creativity. Our Creative Scholars Studios provide extended time during afterschool for students to actively engage in creative work that sparks deep connection to core curriculum concepts and ideas.
The CityArts AmeriCorps EDTAP program is ideally suited for teaching artists who are interested in AmeriCorps community service and making a difference in education in urban public schools. Prior art teaching experience in school or community setting is preferred (visual and design, music, theatre, dance), and a strong interest in the intersection of art and other subjects including social studies, science, language arts and math is required.
CityArts EDTAP Teaching Artist Responsibilities:
- Establish a school-studio that actively showcases ongoing Creative Scholars work
- Work independently and as a team to develop and implement project-based arts curriculum in CityArts Afterschool Creative Scholars Studios
- Co-teach and mentor 30-60 students a week, in a dynamic school studio environment
- Outreach and collaborate with school educators
- Collect, document, and survey student work and progress using CityArts tools/instruments
- Participate in CityArts out-of-school time vacation camps / teaching and learning training labs
- Attend all pre-service and weekly trainings, team-building activities, and AmeriCorps service days
- Submit timesheets and monthly reports on a regular timely basis
CityArts EDTAP AmeriCorps Service Requirements:
- Serve part-time from Sept 2, 2014 to June 27, 2015 and complete 900 hours of service
Standard hours (M-F 1:30-5:30 during school session); school vacation weeks (M-F 8:30-12:30)
- Be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma
- Complete a state criminal background check and FBI fingerprint check
- Have a strong interest and passion for the arts and working in urban public schools
- Have reliable transportation to service site(s)
- Have completed college-level instruction in an art discipline (visual arts, music, dance and theater)
- Have experience teaching arts in a community or school setting
- Ability to speak Spanish is a plus
CityArts EDTAP AmeriCorps Member support
Mandatory Two week Pre-service Orientation and Training will take place Sept 2-12 and weekly trainings/reporting throughout the academic year on Friday afternoons. Members will benefit from ongoing observations/feedback sessions by the Program Director. Co-planning and prep are built into daily practice.
AmeriCorps part-time members will receive a yearly living allowance of $5,500, to be paid in bi-weekly installments, and an education award of $2,822 at the completion of 900 hours of service. Other AmeriCorps benefits include childcare subsidy and federal loan forbearance. For volunteers 55 years of age or older, awards are transferrable to children, foster children and grandchildren.
How to Apply
If interested in being considered for this opportunity, please send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org and/or apply online at my.americorps.gov by August 22, 2014. For more information about Providence CityArts, go to www.providencecityarts.org. For more information about AmeriCorps service and terms of commitment, go to www.americorps.gov.