Location: Providence, RI
Start Date: immediate
CityArts is a non-profit community arts center on the SouthSide of Providence. CityArts mission is based on the ideal that all children should have access to quality arts learning experiences as part of their childhood and development. CityArts serves over 1,200 urban at-risk youth between ages 8-14, through free afterschool, summer and daytime arts-integrated residency programs in communities and within schools across Providence and in Central Falls. CityArts engages 25 teaching artists , 26 AmeriCorps and VISTA members, and 5 program/admin staff.
CityArts seeks a full-time Summer Camp Director to manage a 4 week camp at our Broad Street Arts Center, anticipated to support 120 youth between ages 8-14, in two 2-week sessions of multi-disciplinary arts classes. This position requires a dynamic arts educator/administrator who is passionate about Summer Learning, and the role of teaching artists and community youth arts programs to build skills and nurture the creative development of urban at-risk youth. This is a temporary, full-time employment opportunity from June 17 through August 2, to support a site-based summer arts camp for 120 youth over 4 weeks. Summer Arts Camp Director will be supported by a VISTA program coordinator and a Youth and Families Coordinator.
Responsibilities of this job will include, but are not limited to:
• Cultivate a positive arts learning environment for youth through team-building, creative programming, and staff leadership
• Orient, train, and supervise a summer program team of 10-15 staff—including 4 specialized teaching artists, 4 AmeriCorps teaching artists, 2 AmeriCorps Summer VISTAs, teaching assistants, junior counselors, and volunteers.
• Assist Teaching Artists in aligning their lesson plans to CityArts summer arts learning goals
• Manage the efficient use of resources—supplies, staff, summer budget, volunteers
• Oversee and respond to behavioral incidents, as needed by Youth and Family Coordinator
• Track and report payroll hours bi-weekly, and confirm hourly reporting of AmeriCorps timesheets.
• Coordinate and manage field trip activities, and end-of –session celebrations
• Conduct end-of-session surveys and youth reflection meetings, generate end-of-session program report
Required Skills and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree, Master’s preferred in Arts, or Arts Education
• 2-3 years of Supervisory experience in a school or community youth arts program—Summer Camp leadership experience is a plus
• Positive youth leadership and organizing skills
• Excellent communication skills—Spanish is a plus for working with families
• Excellent interpersonal skills and positive energy
• Humor, flexibility, creativity, grace under pressure, and energy for challenges are musts
• Some knowledge of youth development, education, and social justice issues
How to Apply
Send inquiries, cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2013 for consideration. No Calls, please. As an equal opportunity employer we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability.