The Learning Community is a vibrant, high performing public charter school in Central Falls, RI that serves 560 students in grades K-8, 90% of whom qualify for free/reduced price lunch and work their hardest every day. Founded in 2004, The Learning Community serves families from Central Falls, Providence and Pawtucket, Rhode Island. The faculty, staff and administration are integral parts of a welcoming school community. Through our commitment to our families and our school’s mission, we create and support an environment for exploration, leadership and learning for both students and ourselves. Our mission informs our practice every day. At The Learning Community, we believe that literacy empowers each individual to have a voice, assume community responsibility and take social action. We expect leadership at every level. We grow teacher leaders, student leaders and community leaders.
Primary responsibilities of a Learning Community arts teacher include:
· Deliver exceptional instruction
· Work in concert with colleagues to plan and review curricula, analyze student work, and ensure units of study
· and lessons plans align with state and federal standards
· Collaborate with team members and administration to identify areas for growth and inquiry and maintain a
· commitment to continuous improvement in one’s teaching practice
· Work in partnership with families and commit to learning from them as their child’s first teacher
· Co-create with students a positive classroom culture that is welcoming, affirming and focused on learning.
· Commit to addressing the challenges presented by poverty with respect and flexibility
· Maintain a culture of professionalism and direct communication, emphasizing collegiality over congeniality
· Reinforce school-wide interest in the whole child and work closely with Social Emotional Support Team to
· address personal challenges that may impact student learning and wellness
· Participate in and support school events outside of school hours when appropriate
· Collaborate with classroom teachers when appropriate
The Middle School position is a 0.6 position spread across three days of the week. Additional responsibilities include:
· Offer enrichment classes for afterschool students two days/week
· Support programmatic growth of the afterschool program, which may include managing cross grade projects,
· working with community partners, and supporting other afterschool team members.
The ideal candidate is:
· interested in working in an urban setting and is highly qualified under NCLB guidelines
· committed to meeting the needs of every child in their classroom
· a strong classroom manager, organized, flexible and has excellent communication skills
· committed to learning and growing professionally
· Spanish language skills a plus
· RI Certification required
Highly competitive compensation and benefits. Send resumes to: Mindy Farrow, The Learning Community, 21 Lincoln Ave, Central Falls, RI 02863 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.