FirstWorks seeks a creative, detail-oriented individual with superior writing skills to serve as Development Manager and Grant Writer. The Development Manager and Grant Writer, reporting to the Executive Artistic Director, will manage the full grant writing process, reports to donors and concept papers, and contribute to all aspects of the organization’s development and fundraising strategy. The FirstWorks Development Manager must create compelling cases for the support of FirstWorks, rapidly synthesizing information including data, strategy, artistry, and community impact.
FirstWorks is a fast-paced, entrepreneurial non-profit arts organization whose mission is to connect audiences with world-class performing and internationally recognized artists in downtown Providence venues, and engage communities and under-resourced schools across Rhode Island with the arts. Since 2004, FirstWorks has produced 22 groundbreaking arts festivals, attracted 155,000+ participants, presented over 361 artists and innovators and engaged more than 100 nonprofit community organizations and schools.
This is a 3/4-time position, with the potential to become full-time. Start Date: October 1, 2013
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Managing a diverse portfolio of grants from foundation, corporate, government and individual supporters
• Actively researching, identifying, and cultivating prospective funding sources from local and national foundations, corporate and government agencies, and individual donors.
• Writing and revising grant proposals, appeals and applications including development of attachments and budgets for grant requests; coordinating with staff to submit proposals and meet all deadlines and requirements
• Overseeing preparation and writing of documents for submission, including proofreading, editing, submitting to the funding source, and following up
• Tracking and completing donor reports, including Annual Impact Report
• Developing and managing communications for prospecting, annual appeal, donor recognition, and cultivation
• Managing day-to-day fundraising operations, tracking grant and reporting deadlines, coordinating development staff work-plans and meeting agendas
• Employing and developing turn-key systems and templates to advance effectiveness and efficiency
• Assisting in creating measurement, survey and evaluation tools
• Bachelor’s degree required with 3-5 years of experience working with cultural nonprofits, including 1 year of development or grant writing experience.
• Excellent writer, creative and strategic thinker with ability to clearly articulate organizational mission, programs, and present FirstWorks in a compelling and effective manner.
• Ability to represent the organization in donor conversations, and to identify and cultivate new donors.
• Familiarity with issues related to arts and education trends; understanding of and belief in FirstWorks’ mission.
• Entrepreneurial spirit, integrity, and a sense of humor.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team; outstanding organizational skills, attention to detail, and initiative.
• Welcoming presence: ability to generate enthusiasm for the organization, elicit cooperation, and get information over the phone, via email, and in person.
• Facile knowledge/user of software applications (i.e. word processing, spreadsheets, email, search engines, databases, prospect research tools); familiarity with SalesForce a plus.
• Commitment to connecting art with audiences and FirstWorks core values:
~Creativity and artistic excellence
~Arts potential for social impact
Salary is commensurate with professional experience. Benefits include health care (full-time only) and vacation; an excellent working environment; and the ability to have an impact on creating access and engagement with the arts and bettering the lives of children in Providence and across Rhode Island.
FirstWorks is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to a diverse workplace. Women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Interested applicants should send:
• A cover letter, resume, and 1- to 3- multi-page writing samples
• The names and contact information of 3 professional references
Send applications to:
Email to: email@example.com (include the position title in the subject line)
Or by mail at: FirstWorks, 270 Westminster St., Providence, RI 02903