Communications and Events Manager (CEM)
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
TERMS: Full Time, On-going, Salary with benefits as outlined in personnel policies Occasional evenings/weekends required.
The Steel Yard, an award-winning industrial arts center, seeks a full-time, experienced individual to join our vibrant community and manage communications and community events. The (CEM) will be responsible for crafting and overseeing the primary messaging for the Steel Yard and is a key player in fund development, community engagement and event coordination activities. As the main contact for press inquiries, and social-media as well as public and private partnerships for events, it is essential that the CEM is a clear communicator, a team player and a true community steward.
The CEM will also be the driving force behind event marketing, management and community partnerships. The Steel Yard will host over 10,000 people for free and low-cost community events next year in partnership with dozens of local organizations and businesses. The CEM will be the organization’s face and representative to event partners and clients, writing and negotiating contracts, and taking a leadership role in the development of plans for program expansion.
• Plan contents for and manage contributions to monthly newsletter
• Monitor and respond to all Contact@thesteelyard.org emails
• Support program staff with marketing efforts
• Update steelyard.org website as needed
• Distribute materials to press contacts for special events and courses
• Manage and coordinate merchandise production for events
• Maintain social media contributions for different programs of the Yard
• Manage image database for the organization
• Manage all aspects of site-rental and participate in organizing all fundraiser events for the Steel Yard
• Maintain relationships with event vendors
• Prepare and execute contracts with site rental partners
• Coordinate deliveries and set-up with caterers and suppliers during events
• Is the primary representative for the organization with the city board of licensing, fire department and police in regards to events and rental activities
• Primary contact for renters during event planning and rentals
• Oversee HR needs for events including set-up, event staffing, management of community engagement coordinator, community volunteers as needed
• Delegate and organize tasks and responsibilities as required to staff and volunteers
• Recruit volunteers for event participation
• Promote the Steel Yard mission
• Participate in other organizational assignments as needed
• Regularly attend staff meetings and maintain an active office presence
• Develop best business practices for event management
Reports to the Executive Director and, as requested to the Development Director
Bachelor’s degree in a related field
Knowledge of Adobe Suite software for print and digital applications
Demonstrated experience in a non-profit or community event planning
Familiarity with security, liquor sales, event management and permitting
Ability to understand and manage a communications plan
Ability to multi task, manage time well and work under deadline
Experience coordinating groups of volunteers
Enthusiasm to work with numerous diverse artists and students
Interest in becoming an active Steel Yard community member
Familiarity with Olneyville, Providence and Rhode Island and local non-profits Bi-lingual / Spanish a plus
Full studio access
Discounts on Steel Yard courses
Personal time and sick leave
$32,000/year starting salary
The Steel Yard’s historic campus is a platform for professional artists, makers and the community to practice and learn the industrial arts. The organization fosters creative and economic opportunities, by providing workspace, tools, training and education, while forging lasting links to a local tradition of craftsmanship.
For more information, please visit our website ( http://www.thesteelyard.org ). If you are interested in learning more about the Steel Yard, Free Public Tours are hosted every Wednesday at noon. Tours meet in our office, located on the first floor of the street side of our campus in the two story brick building.
TO APPLY::: Interested candidates should submit a single PDF attachment that includes a cover letter, resume or CV and 5 – 10 images of relevant work if applicable.
The subject line of your email should be: CEM / your name. Please respond by October 15th, 2016
SEND TO::: email@example.com
*** Thank you in advance for your interest in The Steel Yard. Due to the volume of applicants, only candidates who will be invited to interview will be contacted. Position is open until filled.
Learn more about the Steel Yard by visiting:
Event Rental Partnerships Press and Continued Reading
The Steel Yard is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.