Deadline: February 12, 2007
The Robert and Margaret MacColl Johnson Fellowship Fund, established at the Foundation in 2003, provides up to three $25,000 artist fellowships each year, rotating among composers, writers, and visual artists on a three-year cycle. In all three disciplines, the fellowships will be awarded to Rhode Island artists whose work demonstrates exceptional creativity, rigorous dedication, and significant artistic merit.2007 fellowships will be for visual artists working within the disciplines of two-dimensional and three-dimensional arts. The two-dimensional category includes artist books, drawing, painting, photography, printmaking, and mixed-media. The three-dimensional category includes sculpture, installation, and environmental works. Execution materials used may be traditional, non-traditional, or digital.MacColl Johnson Fellowships provide significant financial support to Rhode Island artists to enable them to concentrate time on the creative process, personal development and expand their body of work. The fellowship honors and enhances public recognition of local artists producing work of high aesthetic quality.
The MacColl Johnson Fellowships are unrestricted, however fellows are expected to devote concentrated time to their work during the term of the fellowship and engage in activities which further their artistic growth.
An out-of-state panel of artists, curators, and arts administrators will review the applications and work samples and recommend fellows to the Foundation’s Board of Directors.Criteria
Applicants will be evaluated on:
- Quality of their work and artistic achievements. Applicants should submit their best work completed within the last five years.
- Ability to demonstrate that the fellowship will advance their work and enable the artist to explore new direction and techniques not otherwise feasible.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the visual arts.
- Be a resident of Rhode Island at the time of submitting the application and during the period of the fellowship. Applicable documentation proving residency include:
· 2006 Rhode Island income tax form or 2006 W2 Form;
· RI driver’s license;
· RI-issued identification card;
· Lease or mortgage agreement;
· RI voter registration; and,
· Automobile registration.
A copy of two (2) types of residency documents with the current address, are required.
Artists that are students enrolled in a degree-granting program at the time of application are ineligible.
The primary part of the application will be submitted electronically on-line. All applications are being accepted through the CaFÉ™ website, www.callforentry.org. A maximum of 450 applications will be accepted for this fellowship. Applicants also will be required to submit documentation of residency using the Proof of Rhode Island Residency form, located on the Foundation website, with the artist’s original signature and copies of two residency documents. Mail or hand-deliver Proof of Rhode Island Residency form and copies of two residency documents to:Wanda MiglusCommunity Philanthropy Associate
Robert and Margaret MacColl Johnson Fellowship Fund
The Rhode Island Foundation
One Union Station
Providence, Rhode Island 02903For an application to be considered for review all sections must be complete and submitted by the respective deadlines including the on-line portion and the proof of residency.The on-line portion of the application requires: · All required contact information on CaFÉ registration page,
· Artist Narrative answering discussion points provided in the CaFÉ application
· Current Resume or CV, and
· 10 Samples of Work completed within the last five (5) years with descriptions. For each image list media, size, title, date of completion and if necessary, provide a brief description of the artwork. All samples of work must be submitted on-line, no slides or hard-copy materials will be accepted.
For new user of CaFÉ™:· Familiarize yourself with the site well in advance of the deadline,
· Allow enough time to prepare images to be uploaded into your profile following the CaFÉ™ instructions,
· Follow the Image Preparation instructions of the CaFÉ website for uploading your work samples,
· For technical assistance contact Wanda Miglus at The Rhode Island Foundation.
The fellowship application will be accessible on the CaFÉ website starting January 5, 2007.The applications are due February 12, 2007. The on-line application will close at mid-night. Proof of Rhode Island Residency documents are due at The Rhode Island Foundation by 5:00 pm. Contact Information
Many general questions about the MacColl Johnson Fellowships are addressed in the Frequently Asked Questions on the Foundation website. For additional information or if you lack the technology to comply, contact Wanda Miglus, Community Philanthropy Associate, at (401) 274-4564 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The Rhode Island Foundation website is www.rifoundation.org.