Salt Lake County is soliciting proposals from qualified artists, living in the United States, to participate in an open competition for works of art for the new Northwest Recreation and Senior Center located at 1300 West 300 North in Salt Lake City, Utah. Up to $152,000.00 has been designated for the art obtained through this process.
The County plans to contract with one or more artists, to create unique artwork that will be installed at the new Northwest Recreation and Senior Center.
The artwork selected for this project should address one or more of the following goals:
1. The artist/artists must be willing and able to work with community members, giving them a sense of ownership in the project. This can be done through community meetings, creative input, hands on participation, or other means determined by the artist/artists.
2. To appeal to the residents of the Northwest Salt Lake City Community.
3. To celebrate the richly diverse community.
4. To create a welcoming environment.
5. To be aesthetically compatible with the buildings architecture.
6. To define a community gathering place.
7. To be a quality work of art.
8. To be safe and deter climbing.
9. The work must be able to hold up and be easily maintained in a public setting.
The Request for Proposal is available on-line by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org beginning Monday February 11th, 2008. Proposal submission deadline is Friday March 14th.