February 4 – June 25, 2010
Curators: Michele Jaslow and Spring Hofeldt
Glitch Generation will focus on the appreciation of imperfections, exploring the fixation on and passion for errors. The curators seek visual art, sound art Installation and/or music performance proposals and video works that are/were created by taking advantage of mistakes, either intentional or found.
BAC Gallery invites all Brooklyn based visual artists, video artists, sound artists and musicians to apply. To qualify you MUST be on Brooklyn Arts Council’s Artist Registry. Any artist living or working in Brooklyn can sign up by clicking Join Site; IT’S FREE.
- Work created in reaction to an environment that is the result of an interesting error from an unexpected circumstance. For instance, a photograph that has captured the intricate nature of pasted advertisement layers peeling from billboards.
- Artwork may also use (typically) unintentional images as a starting point for its concept or execution, such as the photo paintings of Gerhard Richter whose paintings recreate flaws found in photographs.
- The environment that produces such mistakes may be manufactured, such as manipulating a malfunctioning computer using code to produce a visual or audio glitch.
1. Two-dimensional visual artwork to be exhibited in BAC Gallery from February 4 – June 25, 2010
- All visual artwork submitted must be two-dimensional or work that can install on a wall surface. Eligible genres include photography, painting, relief sculpture, illustration, alternative medium, collage, mixed media etc.
- Chosen artworks must arrive at the gallery sturdily framed and ready to hang. Paintings on stretcher bars do not need to be framed but should have D rings.
- Recordings (audio or video) of performances reflecting the theme Glitch Generation will be considered for submission. Live performance will be held during a DUMBO 1st Thursday Gallery Walk.
- Selected videos will be screened or installed during a DUMBO 1st Thursday Gallery Walk.
> Glitch_Generation_Prospectus_F.pdf (35.817 kb)