The Wild Bunch is a troupe of on-grounds performers that use the arts to educate, entertain and inspire Zoo visitors. Typical performances include puppet shows, story times, and animal interpretation.
• Enhance the experience of our guests through interactive interpretation, presentations, stories of our animals, and activities.
• Participate in a minimum of five presentations, each a minimum of 20 minutes, on scheduled days. Each day there will be a variety of types of presentations.
• Must maintain on-stage energy whenever in uniform on Zoo grounds.
• Support both the mission of the Zoo and the related mission of the education department.
Performance preparation responsibilities
• Work with the Manager of Interpretation and the Interpretation Specialist to develop a variety of programs that may include singing, dancing, skits, puppet shows, storytelling, and games.
• Create scripts and develop games to increase audience participation and lengthen programs.
• Memorize stories and scripts.
Experience and Education
>• Must have experience working with all age groups
• Must have an appreciation for informal, lifelong learning in agreement with RWPZ’s mission and commitment to education and conservation
• Previous theater or performance experience preferable
• Background knowledge in basic biology or animal sciences preferable
Skills and Aptitudes
• Must be comfortable performing for an individual or a crowd
• Must be creative, energetic, flexible, and able to work both independently and collaboratively
• Must possess excellent public speaking skills
• Must be available weekends and holidays
• Must be at least 18 years old
Training will begin during weekends in May and the position runs through August.
Interested candidates should send cover letter and resume by March 18, 2011 to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail them to the zoo.
Roger Williams Park Zoo
Attn: Education Department
1000 Elmwood Ave. Providence, RI 02907