Mayor Angel Taveras and the Department of Art, Culture + Tourism invite artists to integrate art into existing civic architecture to increase cultural participation and provoke public engagement in Neighborhood Market areas.
The Art Transformer Project, organized by the Department of Art, Culture + Tourism, is geared towards the recognition and celebration of local artists. Artists are asked to paint City of Providence utility boxes with original designs. Once professionally painted, these utility boxes in neighborhood business districts will contribute to the vitality and attractiveness of the urban streetscape and deter graffiti.
- Artists must live in or have permanent office or studio space in the City of Providence.
- Artists must be 18 or older.
- Up to 3 designs by each Providence artist will be considered.
- Selections will be made by a jury appointed by the Department of Art, Culture + Tourism composed of city and community representatives.
- Submissions will be kept on file for future consideration.
- Artists will be notified if and when their designs are selected.
- Proposals are due by 4:00pm on August 1, 2011.
Participating Providence artists will receive a $350 stipend from the Providence Economic Development Partnership upon completion of their box. Artists are responsible for the cost of all materials required to complete and protect their artwork.
To download the RFP go to http://cityof.providenceri.com/ArtCultureTourism/call-to-artists-the-art-transformer-project