Cottage Industries Program Leaders work together to identify best practices and standardize systems around access, membership, and programming while focusing on the individual needs of their respective programs. The AS220 Media Arts Manager will work with key members and volunteers to build a self-sustaining program through paid membership and access to the resources of AS220′s Paul Krot Community Darkroom and the Mercantile Media Arts Lab; supplemented by innovative fundraising and strategic earned income opportunities. The Media Arts Manager will work closely with AS220 Printshop and Labs Management and AS220′s Communications Director to promote classes, workshops, and open houses, will contribute to weekly and monthly e-newsletters, and coordinate a quarterly class schedule. The Media Arts Manager reports directly to AS220′s Managing Director.
Click “Read More” for the details on this position
AS220, was founded in 1985 on the principle that freedom of expression is crucial for the development of strong communities and individual spirits. AS220′s vision for a local unjuried and uncensored forum for the arts was launched in a one-room rental above the Providence Performing Arts Center with a budget of just $800. Today, the non-profit owns – and enlivens – three mixed-use buildings, totaling over 100,000 square feet, in the heart of Providence’s downtown. Though sizable, AS220 is bursting at the seams with: four rotating gallery spaces, a performance space, a youth program, a recording studio, a print shop, a darkroom and media arts lab, a high-tech fabrication lab, a black-box theatre, a dance studio, four dozen affordable live/work studios, an AS220-operated bar and restaurant, plus a handful of locally-grown non-profit and commercial tenants. AS220′s facilities and services are available to any artist who needs a place to exhibit, perform, or create original work and its classes and public-access studios are among the most affordable in the nation. Each year, AS220 serves over 1,000 artists, reaching an audience 50,000 strong – and growing. The FY2012 operating budget of AS220 and related for-profit entities is $2.8 million.
The Cottage Industries are AS220′s earned income approach to building community and providing resources, access and education around a particular craft or media. There are currently three Cottage Industries: AS220 Community Printshop, AS220 Labs and the Media Arts Lab, an expansion of AS220′s Digital and Darkroom Photography program.
- Manage the budget for the Media Arts program with an eye towards achieving long-term sustainability
- Review budget projections vs. actuals w/Managing Director on a monthly basis
- Plan and manage a biennial fundraiser
- Identify earned income opportunities that don’t conflict with the organization’s mission
- Attend bi-weekly staff meetings and monthly Cottage Industries meetings
- Attend quarterly best practice meetings with Cottage Industry Program leaders and instructors to review course feedback and evaluations
- Work with the Development Office to identify potential funding opportunities / donors and support their efforts through clear communication and relevant program metrics
Communications and Promotions:
- Grow AS220 Media Arts e-mail and print mailing lists through strategic base building efforts
- Provide information and editorial content to the Communications Director for weekly and monthly e-news and the monthly print calendar
- Advertise and promote classes and memberships
- Foster, manage, maintain, and grow relationships with key members, darkroom members and users, Providence Media Arts community, national media organizations, and AS220.
- Coordinate up-to-date marketing materials for events, services, and membership options
- Update and maintain the program web pages and blog on our website, as220.org, and any third party identity sites / social media
- Maintain a quarterly class schedule that responds to community demands
- Work with the Media Arts Lab Key-Members to offer workshops that are affordable and which build upon existing course curricula
- Collect, review, and analyze course feedback / evaluation forms
- Provide AS220′s Managing Director with statistics based on user feedback, enrollment, and other data regarding the program’s progrss
- Submit check requests on behalf of instructors
- Coordinate internships and assistantships at the Lab
Access and Membership:
Increase number of Media Arts Members through outreach and promotion Provide clarity around systems of access and membership to new and existing users with up to date membership materials Keep track of current memberships, process new contracts and renew expired memberships Manage schedule for Lab Monitors and Member orientations and trainings Continually build an invested and dedicated Member base Facilitate weekly member meetings
- Create user guides and manuals for studio equipment to ensure safe / responsible usage
- Maintain tools and equipment in the Darkroom and Media Arts Lab
- Oversee safe disposal of photochemistry
- Manage inventory and order supplies for the public program, with input from AS220 Youth
- Manage orientation and training of Key Members and Monitor Members on safe use of shop tools and resources
- Implement and institute health and safety standards and procedure that exceeds state and national standards
The Ideal Candidate will:
Have strong leadership skills and experience coordinating/managing others, experience with financial management, a strong connection to Rhode Island’s art community, and the technical skills necessary to manage the hardware, software, and online applications relevant to the Media Arts Lab. Experience with relevant technologies in the spheres of administration and communications including but not limited to: CRMs, Excel, HTML for web/email, social media, design software, etc is desirable.
This position requires someone who can manage projects independently, as well as working with teams. A sense of humor, grace under pressure, and energy for challenges are a must.
AS220, the non-profit, has an equal pay policy; all full time staff is paid $17 per hour. Staff can take advantage of an employee contribution 401(k) plan. Vacation is offered, along with opportunities for professional development.
To be considered for the position by our hiring committee, please send your resume and cover letter to:
AS220 ATTN: Jobs 95 Mathewson Street, Ste 204 Providence, RI 02903
Or email your application materials to:email@example.com