POSTING UPDATED 3/14/2012
Multimedia and Social Media Coordinator
Office of the Mayor – City of Providence
City Hall, Providence, RI
Salary: $30,000-$40,000 (commensurate with experience)
The multimedia and social media coordinator is responsible for the creative content produced by the Mayor’s communications office and manages the Administration’s social media and blog presence. The multimedia and social media coordinator is responsible for the creation, design and maintenance of graphics, photo and video content and is responsible for the timely and consistent management of the City’s various social media outlets, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and city blogs. The multimedia and social media coordinator is responsible for the publication and distribution of regular electronic communications from the Office of the Mayor, including the weekly City News e-newsletter.
This position requires graphic design skills and is tasked with overseeing the proper implementation of City branding standards across all City departments. The multimedia and social media coordinator manages all publishing functions, including but not limited to art direction, project management, scheduling, planning, writing, editing and production coordination.
The candidate must demonstrate editorial and visual sensibility on what constitutes news and have a proven understanding of how to effectively communicate public information through multimedia and social media platforms. The candidate will possess superior communication skills. Candidates must be able to work independently and with direction from the communications director and press secretary. This position works closely with the webmaster and the Office of Information Technology and requires some web publishing skills.
This position reports to the Mayor’s Communications Director. Candidates must have excellent writing and editing skills, a sense of humor, the ability to meet tight deadlines in a demanding, fast-paced office and a willingness to develop new skills on the job. On occasion, the candidate will be expected to work long hours and on weekends.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages and publishes weekly electronic newsletter, Providence City News.
- Serves as liaison between Communications Office and city departments to ensure brand consistency on all web and print content.
- Creates graphic design and photo elements for print and electronic publications.
- Manages City’s social media presence, including timely and consistent posts to Facebook, Twitter and YouTube; Writes blog posts for Mayor’s city blog.
- Monitors retweets and comments on Twitter and Facebook;
- Assembles and sends daily clips. Assists press secretary with maintenance of clips folders.
- Performs other related duties assigned by Communications Director.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications/Design/Political Science or related fields.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Dreamweaver and Acrobat Pro. Knowledge of WYSIWYG editors and digital photography.
- Fluent familiarity with social media outlets, including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
- Excellent writing skills.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- 1-3 years professional experience on a campaign, working with an elected official or with a policy-oriented organization.
- Experience writing and editing blogs.
- Video editing experience, particularly with Adobe Premier or similar software.
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter to mraia [at] providenceri [dot] com. No calls.