At Jane Pickens Theater we value teamwork, so you will be cross-trained to work at concessions and ticket sales, and if you have the right aptitude and attitude, learn to work in the projection booth. You’ll greet customers, complete cash and credit card transactions, keep the box office clean and well organized, change lobby signage and poster boxes, and be responsible for the security of box office cash and tickets. You’ll prepare and serve popcorn, beverages and other specialty items, perform inventory counts and replenish stock, and maintain the cleanliness of the concessions area, including the popcorn machine and other equipment, counters, shelves, floor and display cases. You’ll perform daily opening and closing operational duties, help keep the lobby, theater and bathrooms tidy and clean, and assist with other functions and duties as needed to help ensure our smooth operations.
REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION:
- Excellent customer service skills; retail experience preferred but not required
- Good verbal communication skills as well as math and cash-handling aptitude
- Friendly and energetic demeanor, with the ability to stay calm and move quickly during busy times; flexible and capable of multi-tasking under pressure
- Strong work ethic, with a can-do attitude; desire to work as part of a team
- Capable of standing, walking, twisting, bending and climbing stairs on a frequent basis; able to lift 50 lbs.
- Availability and willingness to work weekend, evening, holiday, and on-call shifts
- Access to reliable transportation to Aquidneck Island; regular access to email and the internet
The Jane Pickens Theater & Event Center is a world-class art house cinema located in Washington Square in historic Newport, Rhode Island. As the only movie house in Newport, The Pickens, as it is known locally, is a film and event space with a sense of style based on history. We present a mix of first-run movies, documentaries and classic films that are selected to play to the discriminating taste of our audience. The goal is to create experiences for our loyal clientele, and to make our events memorable and unique in their presentation, approach and mix of media.
As one of America’s oldest theater buildings, The Pickens is an important part of the social fabric of the city of Newport. One objective is to utilize this historic building, built in 1834 as an Episcopal Church and transformed into a theater in 1919, as a tool for fundraising for a variety of non-profit causes within our community. The Friends of the Jane Pickens Theater, a 501-(c)(3), provides fundraising, volunteer, and outreach programs that enrich the community and contribute to the mission of preserving this historic building as a venue for current and future generations.
The building is currently the subject of a Master’s Studio in the Department of Interior Architecture at the Rhode Island School of Design. This study on adaptive reuse will focus on the preservation, code and economic challenges presented in the operation of an historic building in an urban environment. The Pickens building was chosen because of its history as one of the oldest theater buildings in America; its urban issues, programming, community involvement, economic viability and high value for the revitalization of its neighborhood.
How to Apply
Please send your resume, including references, to email@example.com