Deadline: Friday, June 22, 2012
Boston Children’s Hospital Main Building Addition – Feature Walls
Eligibility: Open to artists residing in New England.
Budget: $20,000 per floor, with an overall, all-inclusive budget of $100,000. Finalists will receive a $1,500 proposal development fee.
Download the RFQ / call for entries at http://www.massart.edu/About_MassArt/Urban_Arts_Institute/Opportunities.html
The Creative Arts Program at Boston Children’s Hospital invites artists/designers experienced with durable wall-based art to forward qualifications for the new Main Building addition at 57 Binney Street, slated to open in summer 2013. A series of feature walls – (approximately 7’ x 12’) in patient corridors have been designated on Floors 6-10 for a contiguous public art project. The hallways are visible to immediate traffic and from the 6th floor courtyard and patient rooms in the adjacent building through a glass curtain wall. The theme for the floors bridges the celestial with the depths of the sea, featuring space, sky, earth and the ocean in descending order. The five floors and the art panels are intended to be experienced in their entirety from the exterior and should also provide interest close-up for the young patients, and people of all ages and backgrounds. To ensure an appropriate hospital and healing environment, all surfaces arerequired to be smooth and relatively non-reflective. The depth of the installation cannot exceed 1.5 inches. The installation is planned for April 2013.
Artist Selection Criteria
The project team has established the following criteria for the artist selection process:
- Experience with wall installations of permanent public art using materials like mosaic, tile and other robust materials that can withstand hospital hallway traffic.
- Suitability for a hospital environment, appropriate for children and an international audience of all backgrounds and ages.
How to Apply
Please email up to six slides, along with a slide list and resume as outlined below:
1. Résumé with current contact information, including address, phone, email and website(s) in PDF or MS Word format only. File name as follows: LastName_FirstName_resume.
2. Up to 6 clearly labeled digital images of relevant past work. Please send information formatted as follows:
¨ JPGs formatted to read in Adobe Photoshop
¨ 72-300dpi image resolution
¨ Maximum file size per image – approx. 500 KB
¨ Name each image: LastName FirstName ImageNumber Title.jpg
3. A corresponding, numbered, annotated image list with your name, title of works, media, dimensions, location, brief description and date of the work, project budget, and project partners, if applicable. PDF or MS Word format only. File name as follows: LastName_FirstName_list.
Email completed entries – up to 5MB per email only! – with the subject line “Children’s Hospital entry” to firstname.lastname@example.org